Squish Squash Lasagna
½ cup Onions, diced
1 ½ tsp Garlic, minced
1 tsp Canola Oil
1 ½ cups Tomatoes, canned, diced
Pinch Dried Oregano, Thyme, and Basil
2 oz (8 sheets) Whole Wheat Lasagna Sheets
3 ½ cups Butternut Squash, peeled, sliced ¼ inch
2 cups Spinach, chopped
¾ cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- To make tomato sauce, sauté onions and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano, thyme, and basil. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place pasta sheets in hot water for 7-10 minutes. Remove sheets when the dish is ready to be assembled.
- Assembly: lightly coat a baking dish or pan with pan release spray. Spread ingredients evenly across each pan. First layer: lasagna sheets, slightly overlapping approximately 1 inch, ⅓ tomato sauce, ½ spinach, ½ squash slices slightly overlapping. Second layer: repeat first layer. Third layer: rest of tomato sauce (about ⅓).
- Cover with foil and bake until squash is fork tender. Conventional over : 350F for 60-75 minutes. Convection oven: 350F for 40-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle cheese evenly over each pan of lasagna.
- Bake uncovered until cheese starts to brown slightly. Conventional oven: 350F for 15 minutes. Convection oven: 350F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut lasagna and serve.
Source: Healthy Kids Cookbook for Schools, USDA