Recipe: Maple Apple French Toast Bake
October’s Harvest of the Month item is apples and what better way to warm up on a brisk fall morning than this cozy and comforting breakfast!
½ lb Apples
½ loaf Whole Grain Bread
⅔ cup Milk
3 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey
½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
⅛ tsp Salt
- Coat 9×13″ baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Core apples and cut each into 8 wedges.
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Add milk, about ⅔ of the maple syrup (or honey), cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; whisk to combine. Stir in apple slices, then fold in the bread.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Lightly coat sheets of parchment paper with cooking spray and place on top of the French toast. Cover with foil. Refrigerate 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Before baking, let the French toast stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat convection oven to 325F or conventional oven to 350F.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and parchment and rotate the pans. Drizzle/sprinkle remaining maple syrup/brown sugar on top. Return to oven and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until set on top and the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Source: New School Cuisine